I.C.T. & Computing
Technology is a very important aspect of our modern daily lives. Teachers at St Joseph’s recognise how important it is in today's world that pupils should have a good knowledge and understanding of technology and how it can be used. Our teaching aims to:
- develop pupils' skills in using hardware and software
- develop their ability to use ICT to enhance communication and learning
- increase pupils' awareness of the potential and limitations of different forms of technology
Our school is complimented by a large ICT suite. All pupils have access to this facility, with each class timetabled for a dedicated session of ICT per week. In addition to this, pupils in KS2 have access to portable netbooks. Teachers also incorporate the use of technology into other areas of the curriculum, which enables pupils to see how the use of technology can be used in a wider context.
Our aims at St Joseph’s for ICT are:
- to stimulate and promote the use of Information and Communication Technology in order to support, enhance and extend learning opportunities
- to develop pupil's IT capability, including their knowledge and understanding of the importance of information and how to select and prepare it
- to use ICT as a tool to enhance teaching and learning throughout all curriculum areas
- to help both pupils and staff to develop confidence and competence to use ICT in a range of situations and contexts appropriate to the task
‘Espresso Education’ is used to enrich pupil learning in the classroom and is often used to keep the children up to date with issues in the news appropriate to their age. Interactive quizzes are enjoyed by all. The children in KS 1 and 2 also have access to the web based learning platform 'Mathletics'.
ICT is constantly changing and through review and analysis, we aim to keep our curriculum relevant and exciting for pupils. This means access to a broader range of experiences for pupils, using software and web applications in new and interesting ways. We are presently looking at ways to deliver hand held technology across the school.
School offers texting service to help keep parents informed.
Safety and Security
The school also has its own in-house system to monitor computer usage and receives technical support from St. Wilfrid’s.
As part of the ICT curriculum internet safety and security is taught to pupils in age-appropriate stages as they move through the school.